Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Monday, January 31, 2011

LIBRARY EXPLORATIONS

I've decided to see how many Orange County Libraries I can visit in the coming year.  There are 33 branches in the Orange County Public Library system alone; but there are also ten cities within O.C. that have their own public library systems and branches.  Lots to see, though I'm mainly interested in what the children's sections have to offer.  I'll try to highlight my favorites from time to time here on my blog.

I'd love to know about libraries from all around the U.S.!  Please let me know if you have a library in your town with an exceptional children's section.  Or better yet, if you have a blog, post about a day at the library with your kids (or grandkids) and I'll link to it!

Library #1: with my friend Yumi and her daughter Sophie. We visited the new OC Public Library in Tustin and I have to say I was impressed with its open design and natural lighting.
The computers for kids, though close by, were separated from the main children's area, designating that as a reading space.
Some noteworth features were its outdoor children's patio (with some inspiration from Dr. Suess), storytime room, and low reading tables, perfect for little ones.



  


Some of Sophie's picks for the day:
ELEPHANTS CANNOT DANCE! by Mo Willems
LITTLE SMUDGE by Lionel Le Neouanic
SAM AND THE TIGERS by Julius Lester, pictures by Jerry Pinkney
THE MAGIC HILL by A.A. Milne, pictures by Isabel Bodor Brown
LILLY'S BIG DAY by Kevin Henkes

My picks for the day:
KATY NO-POCKET by Emmy Payne, pictures by H.A. Raye
THE HOLE IN THE DIKE by Norma Green, pictures by Eric Carle

2 comments:

  1. What a great project! The OC has so many wonderful libraries. Hope you will be able to meet the children's librarians as well, they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have wonderful libraries and I want people to visit them! In this economy, especially, the libraries (and used bookstores - AND garage sales :) - cute blog!) are the place to be.
    Which library are you part of - I'd love to meet you and ask you some questions about CPSIA and older books. Trying to understand that...

    ReplyDelete