Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Tuesday, November 22, 2011

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR PARENTS, AND GOOD NEWS FOR "REAL" BOOKS

source
I can't tell you how happy reading these words made me today: "Reading forges connections between parents and children... It's also good for little brains. But does the form in which the words appear matter? The New York Times reports that parents — even those who are avid digital downloaders — are shunning kids' e-books for the real thing. It seems that the feel and texture of paper pages dappled with colorful illustrations trumps the static dimensions of a screen."
source: Oleana's Blog
The above quote is from an article, "Why Parents Still Want to Read Real Books, Not E-Books, to their Kids", from TIME Magazine which is citing a New York Times report, "For Their Children, Many E-book Fans Insist on Paper."

from PARENTS CONNECT:
 "Best Loved Books - A Dozen We Love"

The TIME Magazine article also mentions two previously published pieces that parents of very young children should read before plopping their little ones in front of a television or handing them an iPad: "Should You 2-Year-Old Be Using an iPad?" and "'Educational T.V.' For Babies: It Doesn't Exist".


Hurray for books!

4 comments:

  1. This news gives me hope for the printed book! There is nothing like cuddling up to read a book to a child-which I did hundreds of times with my 3 daughters and now with my grandchildren.
    This is one of my favorite blogs. If I am not reading books, I am reading ABOUT books.
    --Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%, Patricia. And thanks for liking my blog - you made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. Never liked reading a book on a PC or other device.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's face it, you need to experience a book in ways that can't be done electronically. (My enjoyment of a book is influenced by the feel of the paper even now.)

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete