Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Thursday, November 21, 2019

Celebrating My Goddaughter's Third Birthday and Black Hair with Hannah Lee's Debut Picture Book!


My goddaughter Cecily just celebrated her third birthday, and I was so excited to gift Hannah Lee's cute rhyming picture book, My Hair, to her after our day at the zoo!


Allen Fatimaharan's warm and colorful illustrations are so fun. (And I have to mention that my goddaughter's mother had no idea I was giving her this book - the similar hairdos right down to the blue bows are a total coincidence!)



Like my goddaughter, the little girl in the book has a birthday to celebrate, and she has an important decision to make: how to style her hair!

My birthday's coming up so soon, 
I'll need new clothes to wear. 
But most of all, I need to know, 
How shall I style my hair? 



Joyous and vibrant, this picture book captures perfectly the excitement of getting ready for a celebration, as well as showcasing a dazzling array of intricate hairstyles.



Off we go to the hairdresser's.
To get it done professionally.
As for what style I choose,
You'll have to wait and see!

The little girl looks to her family - father, mother, sister, grandmother and others - for inspiration. There are so many choices to be considered and embraced...locks, corn rows, or a twist out? Braids or a high-top fade?



Which hair style does the little girl choose? Her Mommy has an idea. You'll have to read the book to find out what they decide!  

Oh, and here's my goddaughter's birthday hair - courtesy of her Mommy, not a hair salon...Happy Birthday to this sweet girl!


Meet the author and illustrator: 
Hannah Lee was born in London, where she still lives. She always loved books, but yearned to see more stories that featured children like her – so now she is writing them! 
The illustrator, Allen Fatimaharan, was born in Sri Lanka, but grew up in Southern India and France. Now living in the UK, he works as an illustrator and animator.

Publisher: Faber & Faber
ISBN: 9780571346875
Number of pages: 32

1 comment:

  1. What a charming book. Cecily is beautiful. Blessings to Cecily throughout the year.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete