Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Monday, August 2, 2010

No matter what happens, travel gives you a story to tell.
-- Jewish Proverb


Back in a week...I'll be off exploring Mendocino, CA with my dear husband!  It's our Anniversary...
when we get back, I'll probably blog about books with barnyard animals.  (Our B&B Inn also happens to be a working farm!)

This painting is titled Mendocino Morning.  The artist is Charles Waldman.

Cranford: The Collection (Cranford / Return to Cranford)WHAT I'LL BE READING:  Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell.  (It's also one of my all-time favorite BBC Productions, starring Judy Dench).

CRANFORD was originally published serially in Charles Dickens' magazine Household Words from 1851 to 1853 and as a book in 1853. "Basing her tales on the village in which she was reared, Gaskell produced a gently comic picture of life and manners in an English country village during the 1830s. The novel's narrator (a young woman who periodically visits Cranford) describes the small adventures in the lives of two middle-aged sisters in reduced circumstances who do their best to maintain their standards of propriety, decency, and kindness. Using an intimate, gossipy voice that never turns sentimental, Gaskell conveys the old-fashioned habits, subtle class distinctions, and genteel poverty of the townspeople. Cranford quickly became one of the author's best-loved works." -- The Merriam-Webster Encylopedia of Literature

2 comments:

  1. You know, I was just thinking last night that - should I have time - I ought to do a blog of children's book reviews. Someone ought to do it, I thought. How providential to find your blog this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! As I go along, I find more and more good blogs about children's books...it's amazing what you come across in the blogging world! Some great Orthodox blogs - I'll check out yours!

    ReplyDelete