Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Monday, May 2, 2011

PUBLIC DOMAIN MONDAY: THE MILKMAID


“Where are you going, my Pretty Maid?”

“I'm going a-milking, Sir,” she said.
“Shall I go with you, my Pretty Maid?”

“Oh yes, if you please, kind Sir,” she said.
“What is your Father, my Pretty Maid?”
“My Father's a Farmer, Sir,” she said.
“Shall I marry you, my Pretty Maid?”

“Oh thank you, kindly, Sir,” she said.
“But what is your fortune, my pretty Maid?”

“My face is my fortune, Sir,” she said.
“Then I can't marry you, my Pretty Maid!”

“Nobody asked you, Sir!” she said.


“Nobody asked you, Sir!” she said.

“Nobody asked you, Sir!” she said.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find this? So funny...AND I love the drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here...http://www.freereaders.org/bookinfo/9/RandolphCaldecott/TheMilkmaid.xhtml
    It is funny, isn't it? I guess there were quite a few fortune seekers back then, looking for girls with dowries. :)

    ReplyDelete