Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Thursday, June 30, 2011

LAUREN CHILD, POST #4

new illustrations for some old classics...
Pippi
I think Lauren Child's collage-style art is the perfect complement to Astrid Lindgren's offbeat story about every child's favorite 9-year-old Swedish heroine, PIPPI LONGSTOCKING. Take a look at some of her illustrations...
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindren, illustrated by Lauren Child (2007)





Anne
But I have to admit, when I first saw Lauren Child's depictions of Anne Shirley on the covers of Puffin's reissue of the Anne of Green Gables books I wasn't sure if the fit was as perfect.  Child's style is so contemporary and Montgomery's books are so old-fashioned and classic!  A couple of things made me reconsider my initial impression: 
#1-This quote by Anne Shirley: "There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting." 
#2-This fact:  did you know that Astrid Lindgren loosely modeled Pippi Longstocking after Anne Shirley??  After discovering this tidbit in a Rutger's article, I think it was genius that the same illustrator would draw both characters.  And I can't honestly think of anyone better than Child - she really captured their spirits.

It's exciting to know that Lauren's book covers will draw a new generation of young reader's to Lucy Maude Montgomery's classic stories...don't you think so?

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (2009) 












Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery (2009)












Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery (2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment