Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Saturday, September 24, 2011

FALL IS CALLING MY NAME...

Here in Southern California, if it weren't for our "Liquid Amber" trees, we wouldn't get much fall color. When I catch a glimpse out my front window of the leaves beginning to turn red and gold, I can't help but harken back to the days when my kids were still at home...



pumpkin patches, hot cocoa with marshmallows on Saturday mornings, planning Halloween costumes, cooler nights...










My son, Jonny (second from the right with sunglasses)
...and as they got older, marching band practice, and high school football games

and even a few trips to where we could REALLY find fall!
My daughter in NY City's Central Park.

I miss those days, but now I have more free time with my hubby, for fall wanderings, pumpkin lattes, and Autumn Breakfasts out on the patio...



...and more time to search out fun children's books and poems to share with you on my blog.  This poem is perfect for the beginning of fall, and is simply titled:

"PUMPKIN POEM"


One day I found two pumpkin seeds.
I planted one and pulled the weeds.
It sprouted roots and a big, long vine.
A pumpkin grew; I called it mine.
The pumpkin was quite round and fat.
(I really am quite proud of that.)
But there is something I'll admit
That has me worried just a bit.
I ate the other seed, you see.
Now will it grow inside of me?

(I'm so relieved since I have found
That pumpkins only grow in the ground!)

(From: The BIG Book of Reading, Rhyming, and Resources: Programs for Children, Ages 4-8, Authors:  Beth Maddigan, Stefanie Drennan, Roberta E. Thompson)

No comments:

Post a Comment