Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Friday, February 10, 2012

AN UNLIKELY VALENTINE STORY

...about an old man, "tall and thin, who did not smile, and ate cheese and mustard sandwiches".  His name is "Mr. Hatch".  He learns a wonderful lesson, that we can all take to HEART (pun intended).


I have to thank talented author/artist Carol Baicker-McKee for mentioning this lovely book at the end of her hilarious post yesterday (read it here) on her blog, Doodles and Noodles.   She said Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch, by Eileen Spinelli, is her favorite Valentine's Day book (her kids all loved it too). I had never heard of it, so I googled the title and found this fun reading of it by actor Hector Elizondo (source here).  I'm still smiling, and I know you'll enjoy it.  The picture book would make a lovely gift (along with a box of chocolates!)

3 comments:

  1. What a great video! Thank you so much for finding that - hard to think of a better way to start my day than to have such a good reader read such a heartwarming book to me.

    And thanks too for the nice mention of my blog. I in turn LOVE your blog, Wendy, and I'm grateful for all the book gems I've discovered here. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I LOVE the post you did today of the Quilled Hearts and Flowers! Beautiful.

      Delete
  2. My girls really enjoyed the reading of Mr. Hatch...thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete