Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Friday, March 16, 2012

THE TRUE STORY OF ST. PATRICK

Zachary Lynch's Life of Saint Patrick, Enlightener of the Irish, published by Conciliar Press, tells the exciting story of this beloved Saint. Born in Scotland, he was captured at the age of 16 and brought to Ireland as a slave to herd and tend sheep.  During this time, he came to have a deep faith in God, and eventually escaped.


After returning home, he became a priest and then a bishop and later went back to Ireland as a missionary, bringing Christianity to its people.  He died March 17, 461. 

Lynch's gorgeous Celtic illuminations bring St. Patrick's story to life, and draw us into the isolated land of a pagan Irish King and his druids.

St. Patrick Puppet Craft
Your kids might enjoy making this cute paper bag St. Patrick puppet.  The instructions can be found here...
source


The Lorica ("Breastplate") of St. Patrick 
The story of this prayer is that Patrick and his followers used it to protect themselves from many dangers and from the people who wanted to kill them as they travelled across Ireland. (It is also called the "Deer's Cry" because their enemies saw not men, but deer, as they passed by in pursuit of Patrick and his followers). It may not have been written by St. Patrick, but is considered to reflect his theological focus on the Trinity. It is one of my favorite prayers, especially helpful during times of trouble or distress. 
Iconography by Dn. Matthew D. Garrett - source
You can find a link here, but I'll include a short verse:
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left
Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit, Christ where I arise
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

1 comment: