Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Monday, March 24, 2014

Mid-Lent: Finding Comfort in the Cross

This past Sunday - the third Sunday of Lent - Orthodox churches everywhere celebrated the feast day of the "Adoration of the Cross".  And today I happen to be reviewing the book, Every Time I Do My Cross, from The Orthodox Children's Press about the ancient Christian practice of making the sign of the Cross as we pray.
Each year during the service mentioned above, I can't help but notice how the children especially are so reverent, bowing down low in prostration as the Cross is brought in a solemn procession to the center of the church (where it will remain for the entire week), a reminder and encouragement that we have reached the "halfway point" of our journey towards Christ's Resurrection.

Children understand the Cross, with its deep message of power and comforting assurance, and I think they will want this brand new picture book that reflects just that on their bookshelf!

With simple, yet charming text and illustrations, Every Time I Do My Cross, by Pres. Angela Alatzakis, seeks to show children the reasons for making the "sign of the Cross" as they pray.  The author brings us along to watch a little boy using the sign of the Cross during his various daily activities as well as at church.



Every time I do my cross it's for a different reason;
whether to thank God,
or to pray for help
with a big decision.
It doesn't matter the time or day
or even where I am,
when I need to say a prayer, 
doing my cross is where I begin.

Every Time I Do My Cross is available here from The Orthodox Children's Press.  Presvytera Angela (Married to Fr. Thomas Alatzakis) started this publishing company and Every Time I Do My Cross is her first book.  She has been a teacher for many years, and has always loved reading children's books.  She attended Hellenic College, receiving a degree in Human Development; Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, with a Masters of Theological Studies; and The University of Massachusetts, with an M.Ed. in Early Childhood Education.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this! This would be good to get audrey. Ive started trying to show her how to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sign of the cross is done in wrong order

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orthodox Christians make the sign right to left. Catholics make it left to right. Different traditions - not wrong. :)

      Delete