Today was the day!
My new little grandson Edward came home!
And I had the perfect book for his Big Brother Peter...
We read Esther and Eloise Wilkin's The New Baby together several times before Mommy and Daddy arrived. The little girl in the story has a doll named "Baby Dear" (more about that at the end of my post).
My grandson showed the book to some of his favorite stuffed animals...
Just like the little girl in the story, he was in full anticipation of
He had practiced being gentle with his stuffed animals so he could hold Mommy's new baby, just like the little girl we read about...
I think Big Brother did a pretty good job!
Welcome home, Edward!
Fun trivia bout this book:
- Eloise Wilkin (1904-1987), who illustrated more than 50 books for Little Golden Books, often illustrated the titles of her sister, children's author Esther Burns Wilkin (who married Eloise's brother-in-law).
- Eloise often used her own children as models for the children in her books, and later used her grandchildren as models.
- In 1960, Vogue Dolls, Inc. launched the first doll designed by Eloise Wilkin. "Baby Dear" came in 12 and 18 inch-sizes and sold for $6 and $12 respectively.
- In all, Eloise designed eight dolls for Vogue and Madame Alexander.
- Baby Dear and So Big, both written by Esther Wilkin and illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, feature the Eloise Wilkin dolls.