Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book Cats


“The name that no human research can discover-- 
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess. 
When you notice a cat in profound meditation, 
The reason, I tell you, is always the same: 
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation 
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name: 
His ineffable effable 
Effanineffable 
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.” 
 ― T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Some Popular Book Cats...

Go here for my past post about T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.  (Edward Gorey's illustrations are amazing!)

You can read my review of The Cat at Night by Dahlov Ipcar here.


Who wouldn't be smitten with The Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter?


Or the story of Millions of Cats, by Wanda Gag?


Paul Galdone's telling and illustrations of the Three Little Kittens nursery rhyme is adorable.


My grandson's choice would be Pete the Cat - all the stories are rollicking good fun - from Eric Litwin - with illustrations by James Dean.

And don't forget this guy...

Last, but certainly not least, I can't leave out Lewis Carroll's Cheshire Cat...

Update, November 3, 2015:  Hat tip to my blogger friend, artist and author Valerie Greeley (you'll find her over at Acornmoon) for a wonderful addition to this list, The Molehouse Cat.  I had never heard of this lovely cat story, but found an amazing Youtube video of the book that I've embedded below.  Enjoy!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Edward Gorey's cover is wonderful isn't it? I wonder if you know THE MOUSEHOLE CAT illustrated by Nicola Bayley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - thank you for the recommendation! I found an amazing Youtube video of the book and just embedded it and updated this post - perfect cat story. :)

      Delete