Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Sunday, December 12, 2010

CHRISTMAS AND SCANDINAVIA...

Christmas Market in Stockholm, Sweden
Bear with me while I indulge my Scandinavian ancestry and reminisce about "pilgrimages" made with my Mother, Grandma, and sisters to Solvang, a little Danish town here in California. I couldn't afford a trip to Sweden or Norway, but in Solvang I could satisfy my heritage-driven cravings for folkart, almond pastries, coffee, Carl Larsson, and all things Christmas... I started googling images of "a few of my favorite things" to show you.  What are some of yours?


Downtown Solvang, CA

Pastries and Coffee

Danish Blue and White Dishes

 Swedish Dalahast

Jul Hus in Solvang, CA

Painting by Swedish artist, Carl Larsson


I miss those trips most when the Christmas season approaches; then mid-December arrives and I get to open my jar of Cardamom, and enjoy the aroma of this pungent Scandinavian spice while I mix up dough for the Lucia saffron buns (Lussekatter) that will be served at a reception following our church's annual St. Lucia Procession.


Tomorrow I'll post some wonderful picture books for St. Lucia Day, December 13th.  Meanwhile, you can read about her life and celebration here and try this recipe for Lucia buns from the quaint Swedish village of Bishop Hill, IL website.


If you liked my posts about Scandinavian Tomte and authors Astrid Lindgren and Jan Brett, I think you and your kids will enjoy reading these Scandinavian-themed Christmas stories...



CHRISTMAS IN NOISY VILLAGE by Astrid Lindgren.  This is a sweet chapter book that kids ages 6-10 will love, featuring those mischeivious children from Noisy Village.
Christmas in Noisy Village (Picture Puffins)

CHRISTMAS TROLLS by Jan Brett.  A fun picture book for kids ages 4-8 about Treva and the troublesome trolls, this time in a Christmas story.
Christmas Trolls


Want more?  The blog LEARN SWEDEN, has some great posts about Swedish children's books and authors.

3 comments:

  1. Love these photos! There is a town 4 hours north of me in Kansas that is called "Little Sweden"-- Lindsborg, KS. and we visited this spring and I totally indulged my inner-Swede loving self! Lindsborg was settled by Swedish immigrants in the late 1800s and still have a very prominent Swedish community. I know they have a St. Lucia festival...I might have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your post about Lindsborg. If you go to their St. Lucia festival, I hope you blog about it! :)

      Delete
  2. also-- LOVE Carl Larsson and dala horses!

    ReplyDelete