Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Thursday, December 31, 2015

A New Year for the Nursery Set!

Wow - I can't believe this is my last post for 2015!  How about this for a New Year's Resolution: Commit to reading nursery tales and rhymes to your little ones in 2016!



What better place to start then with Richard Scarry?



Then move on to this unique and gorgeous book of nursery rhymes, A Pocketful of Posies, by talented crafts-woman, Sally Mavor...



Young children love the rhythm and fun in stories that rhyme.  Some of my favorites include Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon, The Runaway Bunny, and The Big Red Barn.



Lately I've been seeing lots of Nursery Tale (and other literary) inspired children's products!  How cute are these???


from Zulilly


from Out of Print

on Amazon


from Cafe Press

Happy New Year!  Here's an apropos quote for us book lovers...


...from his book, Diary of a Player - have you read it?

2 comments:

  1. OOoooo! I grew up with Richard Scarry's "Best Mother Goose Ever" and have so many memories of looking at those fun pictures on my mom's lap! Can I be honest here? I'm SO nostalgic about my own childhood with books, but reading to my little one is harder than it was in my imagination- sometimes I get so bored and I don't want to do it. I'm failing at my idealized mothering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin - Completely understandable! Belle is so young - it will get more fun/engaging as she gets older. Have you seen my post about choosing books for toddlers? It's all about the rhythm in the text that makes it fun. Hope you like my recommendations (maybe you'll find some new favorites): http://goodbooksforyoungsouls.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-find-best-books-for-babies-and.html

      Delete