Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Friday, January 4, 2013

Leap into the New Year with these 10 "Lords"!

Norman Rockwell (source)

1-“Ring out the old, ring in the new, Ring, happy bells, across the snow: The year is going, let him go; Ring out the false, ring in the true” 
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson quotes (English poet often regarded as the chief representative of the Victorian age in poetry, 1809-1892)

2-"Time! on whose arbitrary wing 
   The varying hours must flag or fly, 
Whose tardy winter, fleeting spring, 
   But drag or drive us on to die--- 
Hail thou! who on my birth bestowed 
   Those boons to all that know thee known; 
Yet better I sustain thy load, 
   For now I bear the weight alone."
-George Gordon, Lord Byron (He was among the most famous of the English 'Romantic' poets, 1788-1824)

 3-"The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places. But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.” 
 - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings 

4-"The Boy-Who-Lived. How lies have fed your legend, Harry! Do you want to know what really happened thirteen years ago? Shall I divulge how I truly lost my powers? It was love. You see, when dear sweet Lily Potter gave her life for her only son, it provided him with the ultimate protection, I could not touch him. It was old magic, something I should have foreseen."
-Lord Voldemort, from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

5-“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."
-Old Testament, Zephaniah 3:17

6-"I have given my life to Downton, I was born here and I hope to die here. It is my third parent and fourth child. Do I care about it? Yes, I do care!"
-Robert Crawley, Lord Grantham of Downton Abbey television series

7- "I shall desire you all, my lords, (chiefly you of the nobility, everyone in his degree and power) to be assistant to me that I, with my ruling, and you with your service, may make a good account to Almighty God and leave some comfort to our posterity on earth."
-Queen Elizabeth, at the beginning of her reign

8-"My mother said, Don't worry about what people think now. Think about whether your children and grandchildren will think you've done well."  
-Lord Mountbatten, Last Viceroy of British India and Governor-General of Independent India (1900-1979)

9 & 10- from Little Lord Fauntleroy, by Frances Hodgson Burnett (the tale of a young charming and innocent American child, Cedric, who finds out he is really a British lord):

Gainsborough's Blue Boy source
“His greatest charm was this cheerful, fearless, quaint little way of making friends with people. I think it arose from his having a very confiding nature, and a kind little heart that sympathized with every one, and wished to make every one as comfortable as he liked to be himself.”

"What the Earl saw was a graceful, childish figure in a black velvet suit, with a lace collar, and with lovelocks waving about the handsome, manly little face, whose eyes met his with a look of innocent good-fellowship."



Polly Hovarth writes that Little Lord Fauntleroy "was the Harry Potter of his time and Frances Hodgson Burnett was as celebrated for creating him as J.K. Rowling is for Potter." During the serialization in St. Nicholas magazine, readers looked forward to new installments. The fashions in the book became popular with velvet Lord Fauntleroy suits being sold, as well as other Fauntleroy merchandise such as velvet collars, playing cards, and chocolates. During a period when sentimental fiction was the norm, and in the United States the "rags to riches" story popular, Little Lord Fauntleroy was a hit. [source: Wikipedia]

No comments:

Post a Comment