Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME!

Had a great time in Bloomington, Indiana, visiting my parents.  The cute "square" in the center of the downtown has two independently owned bookstores and lots of shops, all surrounding the county Courthouse.  Of course, I had to buy a picture book!  I chose THE LITTLE FUR FAMILY, by Margaret Wise Brown, with adorable illustrations by Garth Williams.  Who could resist a book that starts:
There was a little fur family
warm as toast
smaller than most
in little fur coats 
and they lived in a warm
wooden tree.

I'm so happy that this old childhood favorite has been reissued!  The little bear has a busy day out in the woods, visiting his Grandpa and catching fish.  At the end of the day, his parents tuck him into bed, hold his paw, and sing him a song.  Precious!  This will definitely be one I can't wait to read to my own grandchildren someday...perfect for ages toddler - preschool.

My parents also had fun carting us around to lots of local antique stores, where I bought...More Picture Books.  I found a beautiful 1946 Golden Book, BEDTIME STORIES, with illustrations by Gustaf Tenggren for $3.99  My dad glanced at it and said, "I remember reading to you kids from that book."  (I'm sure it had been his or my mom's childhood copy!)  I love book memories!

Next, we made sure to stop in at the Monroe County Library's Annual Book Sale, where I bought...you know.  All children's books were 25 cents each!  Among others, I was excited to find a used paperback copy of SLEEPING BEAUTY with unique silhouette illustrations by Arthur Rackham.  I also found a wonderful hardcover edition of NOAH'S ARK, illustrated by Pauline Baynes (I'll do separate posts about them in the near future!)

It's fun to visit new places and books are easy souvenirs to transport back home, thank goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment