Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Sunday, May 13, 2012

THE READING MOTHER


Suzanne Marsh - source


 I had a mother who read to me 
 Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea. 
 Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth; 
 "Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath. 
 I had a Mother who read me lays 
 Of ancient and gallant and golden days; 
 Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe, 
 Which every boy has a right to know. 
I had a Mother who read me tales 
 Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales, 
 True to his trust till his tragic death, 
 Faithfulness lent with his final breath. 
I had a Mother who read me the things 
 That wholesome life to the boy heart brings- 
 Stories that stir with an upward touch. 
 Oh, that each mother of boys were such! 
You may have tangible wealth untold; 
 Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. 
 Richer than I you can never be -- 
 I had a Mother who read to me.
-by Strickland Gillilan (1869-1954) 

No comments:

Post a Comment