Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Friday, July 26, 2013

The Coziness of Jan Brett

I don't know of many other author/illustrators who produce more engaging and cozy, animal stories than Jan Brett...
So when I came home last night from a flower arranging class with my little teapot full of roses, snapdragons, and stock, I knew just which book to display it with:  Jan Brett's Town Mouse Country Mouse!
Her version of this classic tale goes back and forth between a country mouse couple visiting an elegant Victorian townhouse and a town mouse couple trying out the lush green countryside.  Each couple faces challenges and predators (mainly an owl and a cat) that often show up in the page border illustrations!
In the end, each couple ends up in their own home.  But you'll have to read the book to see what happens to their predators!
"There's no place like home." sighed the town mouse, as he and
his wife settled into a warm slipper.
(Like Jan Brett's style?  Also see my posts on Valerie Greeley and Beatrix Potter, two of my other favorite animal story author/illustrators).

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely bouquet! ♥ I agree...Jan Brett is one of my most favorites. How about Jill Barklem's "Brambly Hedge" books? They're very sweet and full of interesting detailed illustrations, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!! Need to do a post about her lovely books! :)

      Delete