Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Thursday, June 5, 2014

Happy Birthday to Richard Scarry, Along With a Poem For June!

June 5, 1919 - April 30, 1994

The Richard Scarry illustration and "June" poem are from "Merry Months of the Year" by Scarry's wife, Patricia.  Formerly Patricia Murphy, she was a writer of children's textbooks who met Richard Scarry during a collaboration when he was a textbook illustrator.  They married in 1948.


I came across the poem in a large format book of collected works by Richard Scarry that I couldn't resist picking up from our local library bookstore yesterday for my grandson. Richard Scarry's Things to Know is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.


This book has all my grandson's favorites, including Chipmunk's ABC, Colors, The Polite ElephantI Am A Bunny, and lots more! It's so nice to post about it here today on my blog in honor of the anniversary of this very BUSY man's birthday!

1 comment: