Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Wednesday, November 15, 2017

CREATING ADVENT TRADITIONS FOR KIDS


If my daughter had time to blog, I'm pretty sure she'd pass along today's latest conversation with her five-year-old son.  Since I'm a doting Grandma, I'll let you in on their day...

My grandson woke up this morning and was so excited to see that Advent had arrived.  My daughter had made and set up a Christmas tree of cardboard that he and his little brother can take turns hanging little cut-out ornaments on after they unwrap a Christmas book each night during Advent. (For my daughter's guest post on How to Make a Library Book  Advent Calendar, go here).

Click here

He then told his little brother, "We are not having Dutch Babies for breakfast (that's what our family calls a German pancake made with eggs, flour, milk, and butter, that puffs up when it cooked and is then doused in maple syrup or fruit, and whipped cream) because that's a fancy food and during Advent we eat simple food...like pancakes!" So they had regular pancakes for breakfast.

The rest of the day he kept asking my daughter when it would be nighttime so he could open and read their first book.

Traditions are so important to kids. I've blogged a LOT about Advent and how to create fun book calendars as a countdown to Nativity.  Go here for my list of favorite Christmas books.  So many to choose from, but these are my special favorites - tried and true by our family!

Click here

Whether you, like we, begin Advent on November 15th according to the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition of 40 days, or you begin to observe Advent on December 1st, I pray that you and your family have a blessed and prayerful season as we await Christ's Nativity!

To visit all my posts about Advent, go to my "Advent and Christmas Resource page", here.


5 comments:

  1. Thank You for this Advent post. My Advent starts on December 3rd. I am going to read your daughter's post and your favorite Christmas books.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Advent. A lovely post. Love the reading of a book a night.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for this lovely post. I appreciate the book list.
    Happy Holidays
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder! Those old calendar folks like us who celebrate Nativity later, start Advent in 10 more days...I've got to gather the books and do some wrapping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Old Calendar works so much better with Thanksgiving!!! My son goes to a Serbian church, but I still forget that he's 10 days later than we are. Blessed Advent!

      Delete