Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Wednesday, November 14, 2012

BOOK COVERS REVEALED: SOME OF THE NEWEST ADDITIONS TO MY CHRISTMAS BOOK RESOURCE PAGE


Artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Tomorrow, November 15th, marks the first day of Advent for those of us who are Eastern Orthodox Christians.  Remember to comment on any blogs I've posted since November 12, 2012 to enter my Advent Calendar Give-away. Enter as many times as you'd like - by commenting here, or on my facebook page.

Here are some picture books I'm adding to my Christmas Book Resource Page this year. I highlighted pictures from the books on yesterday's post, so if you couldn't guess which books the illustrations were from, I've revealed the book covers below...



#1 - Olivia with the Nutcracker from...
#1  Olivia Helps With Christmas, written and illustrated by Ian Falconer.  Everyone's favorite little Pig helps out Mommy and Daddy with Christmas - or does she?














#2 - St. Lucia, from...
#2 The Story of Christmas, by Barbara Cooney, illustrations by Lorett Krupinski.  Cooney relates traditions from around the world that have led us to the Christmas celebrations we have today.












#3 - Writing postcards, from....
#3 Aunt Olga's Christmas Postcards, by Kevin Major, illustrated by Bruce Roberts. (my review here)























#4 - Romantic Christmas scene, from...
#4 A Star for Christmas, written and illustrated by Trisha Romance.  If you love all things Scandinavian, you'll love her old fashioned Carl-Larsson-style illustrations. (read about the book here)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I must look for the non-Olivia books! (I have the Olivia.) :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all pretty unique books, but "Aunt Olga's Postcards" comes with a vintage postcard in an envelope on the inside of the back cover! A treasure, for sure! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, cool! I'll admit, that was the photo I was most curious about in yesterday's post. I loved the squiggly drawings with the old-fashioned Santa poster on the wall!

      Delete