Purpose of this Blog...

You may have noticed that not all books are equal in capturing children's imaginations and in cultivating those innocent, tender souls. My goal is to help you find the ones that do!
(Painting by Mary Cassatt: "Mrs Cassatt Reading to her Grandchildren" -1888)




Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How I found Hans Christian Andersen in a Danish Town...in Central California!

My husband and I love visiting California's Santa Ynez Valley.  It's very rural, with quaint farms and tiny towns, incredible wineries, and great restaurants.

One of my favorite towns, Solvang, was founded
by Danish immigrants in 1911.  (If you love Scandinavia, I'm sure you can just imagine the decorations for their Julefest at Christmas time! And be sure and have some ebelskivers!!)



On Mission Drive you'll find The Book Loft...
and on the second floor of this bookstore is a little museum dedicated to the beloved Danish author of children's books, Hans Christian Andersen. [1805-1875.] Ironically I wrote this post yesterday, on his birth date, April 2!
The first thing you'll see as you ascend the stairs and pass all the fun bookshelves...
...is a huge bust of the famous author himself.

Many first and early additions of his books, poetry, and correspondence (written in his spidery script) are on display, as well as photographs of him, and examples of the delicate paper cut art he so loved.



In order to amuse his friends and their children Hans Christian Andersen made paper cuts.  He was in fact a very popular paper cutter - see images here

There is no immediate connection between his paper cuts and fairy tales, but Andersen used to accompany his paper cutting with fantastic tales, and he would present his finished work of art to his amazed listeners by unfolding the paper cut-out as he ended his tale!



I've enjoyed several visits to this bookstore museum over the years, and highly recommend it, if you ever find yourself in the Santa Ynez Valley of California!  My next post will be about some other places my hubby and I enjoyed while we were there...

8 comments:

  1. Eek! I want to go there! How lovely. I love Hans Christian Andersen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How CUUUUUUTE!!! I would love to see this little town. Hans Christian sure was an amazing guy, wasn't he? Not sure I could make an intricate paper cutting while telling a story to an audience. Now that's talent! Looking forward to coming along with more of your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I had no idea that HCAmade paper cuttings!!quite beautiful and intricate!! I remember visiting the bookstore and museum both as a child and an adult, but don't remember ever seeing those. What a talented author and artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I first discovered this about him when I did my post on silhouettes and paper cutting: http://goodbooksforyoungsouls.blogspot.com/2010/11/art-in-silhouette.html

      Delete
  4. I grew up visiting Solvang, this little bookstore being no exception! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - I didn't know you guys would go to Solvang! It's changed over the years, but I still love it! :)

      Delete
  5. It does seem to have become more "commercial," but I still want to go again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that it's that much more commercial - but a lot of the little gift shops and bakeries/restuarants have changed to wine-tasting rooms. I guess it just seems a little less Danish that it used to!

      Delete